In this section you must choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence. For each question, 1 to 20, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
1) A good clock always keeps … time.
|A/ certain||B/ true||C/ accurate||D/ serious|
2) She has … a lot of money in her new job.
|A/ gained||B/ earned||C/ found||D/ done|
3) Would you … my opening the windows now ?
|A/ want||B/ worry||C/ concern||D/ mind|
4) We can … the difficulty without too much effort.
|A/ get over||B/ get away||C/ get off||D/ get through|
5) … people go to the movies now than ten years ago.
|A/ Less||B/ Lesser||C/ Few||D/ Fewer|
6) We don’t know the … of the game.
|A/ facts||B/ customs||C/ rules||D/ laws|
7) We had to use our neighbour’s telephone because ours was …..
|A/ out of work||B/ out of order||C/ off duty||Off work|
8) It was … a boring speech that I fell asleep.
|A/ such||B/ so||C/ very||D/ too|
9) I think you … better not tell him the truth.
|A/ will||B/ should||C/ would||D/ had|
10) What he says makes no … to me.
|A/ reason||B/ truth||C/ sense||D/ matter|
11) He said that he … badly sick since he returned from abroad.
|A/ had been||B/ has been||C/ was||D/ would be|
12) The speaker said … nothing worth listening to.
|A/ complete||B/ almost||C/ quite||D/ completely|
13) If you had come to the party, you … her.
|A/ would meet||B/ had met||C/ would have met||D/ met|
14) The manager had his secretary … the report for him.
|A/ type||B/ typed||C/ typing||D/ to type|
15) He … in this office for ten years by next Monday.
|A/ will be working||B/ will work||C/ will have been working||D/ Would be working|
16) No sooner …. the office than the phone rang.
|A/ he had left||B/ had he left||C/ he was leaving||D/ was he leaving|
17) Neither the director nor his assistant … yet.
|A/ have come||B/ haven’t come||C/ has come||D/ hasn’t come|
18) It is necessary that you … here at 8 a.m tomorrow.
|A/ would be||B/ be||C/ will be being||D/ would have been|
19) The village … we are going to visit is far from here.
|A/ where||B/ which||C/ that||D/ Both B and C are correct|
20) She wishes she … you the bad news yesterday.
|A/ didn’t tell||B/ wouldn’t tell||C/ hadn’t told||D/ doesn’t tell|
In this section you will find after the passage five questions of unfinished statements about the passage, each with four suggested answers or ways of finishing. You must choose the one which you think fits best. For each question, 21 to 25, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
After inventing dynamite, Swedish-born Alfred Nobel became a very rich man. However, he foresaw its universally destructive powers too late. Nobel preferred not to be remembered as the inventor of dynamite, so in 1895, just two weeks before his death, he created a fund to be used for awarding prizes to people who had made worthwhile contributions to mankind. Originally there were five awards: literature, physics, chemistry, medicine and peace. Economics was added in 1968, just sixty-seven years after the first award ceremony.
Nobel’s original legacy of nine million dollars was invested, and the interest on this sum is used for the awards which vary from 1,5 million dollars to 2 million dollars.
Every year on December 10, the anniversary of Nobel’s death, the awards (gold medal, illuminated diploma and money) are presented to the winners. Sometimes politics plays an important role in the judges’ decisions. Americans have won numerous science awards, but relatively few literature prizes.
No awards were presented from 1940 to 1942 at the beginning of World War II. Some people have won two prizes, but this is rate; others have shared their prizes.
21) When did the first award ceremony take place?
|A/ 1895||B/ 1901||C/ 1962||D/ 1968|
22) Why was the Nobel prize established?
A/ to recognize worthwhile contributions to humanity
B/ to resolve political differences.
C/ to honour the inventor of dynamite.
D/ to spend money
23) In which field have Americans received the most awards?
|A/ literature||B/ peace||C/ economics||D/ science|
24) In how many fields are prizes given?
|A/ 2||B/ 5||C/ 6||D/ 10|
25) Which of the following statements is not true?
A/ Awards vary in monetary value.
B/ Ceremonies are held on December 10 to commemorate Nobel’s invention.
C/ Politics can play an important role in selecting the winners.
D/ A few individuals have won two awards.
USE OF ENGLISH
A/ Fill each of the numbered blanks in the following passage. Use only ONE word in each space.
A DAY IN LONDON
This morning the sun was shining, and I decided to begin seeing the sights of London. So I (26) … the manager of my hotel what I should see first, and he advised me to go to the Tower of London in the morning and to Westminster in the afternoon.
I set (27) … at about 9 o’clock in the morning by the Underground and managed to get out at the right station. I (28) … to walk a short distance from the latter to the Tower, and found myself in a (29) … of several people, some of them foreigners (30) … myself, who were also (31) … the opportunity of the fine weather to see something of London. We reached the entrance to the Tower, (32) … a bridge and were met by a soldier (33) … strange red and yellow clothes, with a big crown sewn on his chest, a flat black hat on his head and a long stick in his hand. I knew (34) … books I had read that he was one of the “Beefeaters”, the old soldiers dressed in clothes of long ago who guarded the Tower.
Our “Beefeaters” (35) … us round the Tower, and showed us the Crown jewels, which the King and Queen (36) … on special days; the prison in which famous people were (37) … long ago; and the places where some queens of England (38) … their heads cut off.
Listening to all these strange stories and seeing the old stones of the Tower, I could easily imagine the terrible things that had (39) … within those walls, and I left the Tower at lunchtime with a clearer (40) … of English history than I had had before.
B/ GUIDED SENTENCE BUILDING
Build a complete sentence with the given words.
41) train / arrive / Hanoi / in / hours
42) doctor / whom / see / party / friend
43) we / not know / when / manager / return
44) book / interesting / that / read / twice
45) you / hear / news / radio / this morning ?
46) When / meet / her / talking / teacher
47) accident / happen / while / drive / highway
48) take / them / years / build / bridge
49) parents / used / drink tea / dinner
50) I / remember / see / Dr. Nam / television / times
C/ Rewrite the following sentences without changing their original meaning. Begin with the given words.
51) He will die if nobody brings him to hospital
52) I have studied English for 3 years.
I began …………………………..
53) He not only spent all his money, he even borrowed some from me.
Not only ………………………………
54) They are building a new school in that village.
A new school …………………………….
55) I am sorry that I didn’t go to the party last Sunday.
I wish that ………………………………..
Write a composition from 80 to 120 words on this topic:
Why are good books good teachers and friends?
[nextpage title=”Đáp án đề số 4″]
ĐÁP ÁN (GỢI Ý)
|1 (C)||2 (B)||3 (D)||4 (A)||5 (D)|
|6 (C)||7 (B)||8 (A)||9 (D)||10 (C)|
|11 (A)||12 (B)||13 (C)||14 (A)||15 (C)|
|16 (B)||17 (C)||18 (B)||19 (D)||20 (C)|
|21 (B)||22 (A)||23 (D)||24 (C)||25 (B)|
|26) asked||27) out / off||28) had|
|29) group / crowd||30 like||31) taking|
|32) crossed||33) in / wearing||34) from|
|35) took / led / guied||36) wore||37) kept / put|
|38) had||39) happened / occurred||40) idea / knowledge|
41) The train will arrive in Hanoi in two hours / in a few hours.
42) The doctor whom you saw at the party is my friend.
43) We do not know when the manager will return.
44) The book was so interesting that I read it twice.
45) Did you hear the news on the radio this morning.
46) When I met her, she was talking to / with the teacher.
47) The accident happened while he was driving on a highway.
48) It took them 3 years to build the bridge.
49) My parents used to drink tea after dinner.
50) I remember seeing Dr. Nam on television several times.
51) Unless somebody / someone brings him to hospital, he will die.
52) I began to study / studying English 3 years ago.
53) Not only did he spend all his money; he even borrowed some from me.
54) A new school is being built in that village.
55) I wish that I had gone to the party last Sunday.
I am very fond of books. I enjoy reading books at weekends and whenever I have free time. I read simple English books, which help to improve my English; I also read serious Vietnamese books on general sciences to widen my knowledge. Through these good books, I can learn a great deal more about human civilization, the wonders of nature, and amazing inventions and discoveries of great men in the world. In addition, I sometimes read humorous stories to relax my mind and even to remove my troubles.
I wonder if there are people who can ever deny that good books are really good teachers and friends.