In this section you must choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence. For each question, 1 to 20, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
1) A good clock always keeps … time.
|A/ accurate||B/ serious||C/ certain||D/ true|
2) She has … a lot of money in her new job.
|A/ found||B/ done||C/ earned||D/ gained|
3) Would you … my opening the windows now ?
|A/ concern||B/ worry||C/ mind||D/ want|
4) We can .. the difficulty without too much effort.
|A/ get off||B/ get away||C/ get through||D/ get over|
5) … people go to the movies now than ten years ago.
|A/ Fewer||B/ Few||C/ Lesser||D/ Less|
6) We don’t know the … of the game.
|A/ laws||B/ rules||C/ customs||D/ facts|
7) We had to use our neighbour’s telephone because ours was …
|A/ out of order||B/ off duty||C/ out of work||D/ off work|
8) It was … a boring speech that I fell asleep.
|A/ so||B/ very||C/ such||D/ too|
9) I think you … better not tell him the truth
|A/ had||B/ would||C/ should||D/ will|
10) What he says makes no … to me.
|A/ matter||B/ sense||C/ truth||D/ reason|
11) He said that he … badly sick since he returned from abroad.
|A/ has been||B/ was||C/ would be||D/ had been|
12) The speaker said … nothing worth listening to.
|A/ almost||B/ quite||C/ completely||D/ complete|
13) If you had come to the party, you … her.
|A/ would have met||B/ met||C/ had met||D/ would meet|
14) The manager had his secretary … the report for him.
|A/ typing||B/ to type||C/ typed||D/ type|
15) He … in this office for ten years by next Monday.
|A/ will have been working||B/ would be working||C/ will work||D/ will be working|
16) No sooner … the office than the phone rang
|A/ had he left||B/ he was leaving||C/ he had left||D/ was he leaving|
17) Neither the director nor his assistant … yet.
|A/ haven’t come||B/ has come||C/ have come||D/ hasn’t come|
18) It is necessary that you … here at 8 a.m tomorrow.
|A/ be||B/ would have been||C/ would be||D/ will be being|
19) The village … we are going to visit is far from here
|A/ where||B/ that||C/ which||D/ Both B and C are correct|
20) She wishes she … you the bad news yesterday.
|A/ wouldn’t tell||B/ doesn’t tell||C/ didn’t tell||D/ hadn’t told|
In this section you will find after the passage five questions of unfinished statements about the passage, each with four suggested answers or ways of finishing. You must choose the one which you think fits best. For each question, 21 to 25, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
After inventing dynamite, Swedish-born Alfred Nobel became a very rich man. However, he foresaw its universally destructive powers too late. Nobel preferred not to be remembered as the inventor of dynamite, so in 1895, just two weeks before his death, he created a fund to be used for awarding prizes to people who had made worthwhile contributions to mankind. Originally there were five awards: literature, physics, chemistry, me, medicine and peace. Economics was added in 1968, just sixty-seven years after the first award ceremony.
Nobel’s original legacy of nine million dollars was invested, and the interest on this sum is used for the awards which vary from 1,5 million dollars to 2 million dollars.
Every year on December 10, the anniversary of Nobel’s death, the awards (gold medal, illuminated diploma and money) are presented to the winners. Sometimes politics plays an important role in the judges’ decisions. Americans have won numerous science awards, but relatively few literature prizes.
No awards were presented from 1940 to 1942 at the beginning of World War II. Some people have won two prizes, but this is rare; others have shared their prizes.
21) When did the first award ceremony take place ?
|A/ 1895||B/ 1901||C/ 1962||D/ 1968|
22) Why was the Nobel prize established ?
A/ to recognize worthwhile contributions to humanity
B/ to resolve political differences
C/ to honour the inventor of dynamite
D/ to spend money
23) In which field have Americans received the most awards ?
|A/ literature||B/ peace||C/ economics||D/ science|
24) In how many fields are prizes given ?
|A/ 2||B/ 5||C/ 6||D/ 10|
25) Which of the following statements is not true ?
A/ Awards vary in monetary value
B/ Ceremonies are held on December 10 to commemorate Nobel’s invention.
C/ Politics can play an important role in selecting the winners.
D/ A few individuals have won two awards.
USE OF ENGLISH
A/ Fill each of the numbered blanks in the following passage. Use only ONE word in each space.
He was born in a very poor part of London. His father (26) … a comedian and his mother worked (27) … a dancer and singer. (28) … of them was very successful, however, and the family had very (29) … money; at one time they were (30) … poor that he and his brother had only one pair of shoes (31) …them and they had to take turns wearing them. The first time he himself earned any money, (32) … dancing and singing, he was only five years old. He did many kinds of jobs, but what he loved most was working in the theatre.
(33) … he was about 15 he joined a travelling theatre company and went on trips to America. On (34) … such tour he was offered a part in film, so he went to Hollywood, (35) … he eventually became both an actor and a film director. He was known to be a perfectionist, and sometimes made the other actors repeat a scene many times (36) … he was finally satisfied with it.
Many people found (37) … difficult and some accused him of being mean, but it was really his early experiences of poverty (38) … made him careful with his money.
He died in Switzerland in 1977 (39) … the age of 88. (40) … is now a statue of him in Leicester Square, London, the city of his birth and early upbringing. His name was Charlie Chaplin.
B/ GUIDED SENTENCE BUILDING
Build a complete sentence with the given words.
41) I / remember / see / Dr. Nam / television / times
42) parents / used / drink tea / dinner
43) take / them / years / build / bridge
44) accident / happen / while / drive / highway
45) When / meet / her / talking / teacher
46) you / hear / news / radio / this morning ?
47) book / interesting / that / read / twice
48) We / not know / when / manager / return
49) doctor / whom / see / party / friend
50) train / arrive / Hanoi / in / hours
C/ Rewrite the following sentences without changing their original meaning. Begin with the given words.
51) I am sorry that I didn’t go to the party last Sunday.
I wish that ……………………………
52) He will die if nobody brings him to hospital.
53) They are building a new school in that village.
A new school …………………………….
54) I have studied English for 3 years.
I began …………………………………….
55) He not only spent all his money; he even borrowed some from me.
Not only …………………………………….
Write a composition from 80 to 120 words on this topic:
Describe your best friend and tell why you like her or him.
[nextpage title=”Đáp án đề số 8″]
ĐÁP ÁN (GỢI Ý)
|1 (A)||2 (C)||3 (C)||4 (D)||5 (A)||6 (B)||7 (A)|
|8 (C)||9 (A)||10 (B)||11 (D)||12 (A)||13 (A)||14 (D)|
|15 (A)||16 (A)||17 (B)||18 (A)||19 (D)||20 (D)||21 (B)|
|22 (A)||23 (D)||24 (C)||25 (B)|
|26) was||27) as||28) Neither||29) little|
|30) so||31) between||32) from / by / through||33) When|
|34) one||35) where||36) before / until||37) him / Chaplin|
|38) that / which||39) at||40) There|
41) I remember seeing Dr. Nam on television several times.
42) My parents used to drink tea after dinner.
43) It took them 3 years to build the bridge.
44) The accident happened while he was driving on a highway.
45) When I met her she was talking to / with the teacher.
46) Did you hear the news on the radio this morning?
47) The book was so interesting that I read it twice.
48) We do not know when tha manager will return.
49) The doctor whom you saw at the party is my friend.
50) The train will arrive in Hanoi in two hours / in a few hours.
51) I wish that I had gone to the party last Sunday.
52) Unless somebody / someone brings him to hospital, he will die.
53) A new school is being built in that village.
54) I began to study / studying English 3 years ago.
55) Not only did he spend all his money; he even borrowed some from me.
Lan is my best friend. She is also my classmate. She is a sixteen-year-old girl with a slender build and fair complexion. She has long black hair and a charming oval face with brown eyes. At school she is very studious and good at every subject. She helps me a great deal with my studies. Her behaviour is also admirable. She is simple, friendly and kind to everybody. At home she spends most of her spare time looking after her little brothers and sisters and helping her mother with the housework.
We all love and respect Lan. She is a good example to us all.